Friday, January 7, 2011

Baby Linguine?

Not many people have heard of Baby-Led Weaning. In fact, whenever i mention to someone that we are using the Baby-Led Weaning approach to solids, they say "baby linguine?". Then I end up explaining the whole concept to them and I think a lot of people think its a bit strange! Not that I blame them, because I used to think the same thing! 

However, once you have seen it in action, it really does show you that its a great way to introduce babies to solid foods - and it makes perfect sense! It teaches them how to manage food in their mouths,  how to chew and swallow, and also improves their fine motor skills. Even though Ethan has only sat down to a solids meal a handful of times now, I can already see his motor skills are improving. 

One of the main benefits of BLW is that you can give your baby the same food as the rest of the family (within limits of course - I wouldn't feed him a curry just yet!). We were having roast vegetables the other night, so as I prepared our dinner, I cut a few extra chip-shaped pieces of potato and sweet potato for Ethan. He was so pleased at dinner time when he had the roasted vegetables in front of him! He tried each one with gusto! He even managed to get some of the fluffy potato in his mouth and chew on it! He looked like a little old man who had forgotten to put in his teeth, it was a really great moment!







No comments:

Post a Comment