Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Gourmet Baby

I don't have much news to add since yesterday, I know its not often I post more than once a week! But i just wanted to share what Ethan had for dinner tonight! Pasta spirals with Italian sausage, fennel and rocket! He really loved it!

I am currently following Weight Watchers, but have to try to make meals that are not too "weight-watchery" for the sake of the boys. At their age I know that they still need their full fat dairy and healthy fats for good health. However we do try to eat as well as we can and I like to stick to my daily allowance. I got the recipe for tonight's dinner out of the current Weight Watchers magazine.

To tell the honest truth, I am not usually a big fan of fennel. My only real experience with it was when I was about 14 and went to my Italian friend's house for dinner and they served a fennel salad. All I remember is that really strong aniseed taste, and it was a bit much for me being used to English cooking! Ever since then I have avoided anything with fennel in it.

I was motivated to cook the dish however, while reading the Weight Watchers recipe boards and seeing someone else was trying it. I do like to try out new recipes and also if I can, try out new ingredients. And knowing that tastes can change throughout your life, I thought I would give it a go. I was dicing the fennel to cook in the recipe and was not convinced I was going to like it. However I found that once cooked the fennel wasn't too overbearing! Plus with the extra herbs I added and the Italian pork sausage, the flavour of the fennel was not too strong, and actually quite nice. And Ethan ate some, so it can't have been that bad! Plus Steve went back for thirds!

No comments:

Post a Comment